Monday, April 7, 2014

maternity clothes: 1st experience

let the baby posts begin!

first up...my first go-around with shopping for maternity clothes.

obviously everyone grows at a different rate during pregnancy, but as a nervous first-timer i read every week-by-week blog i could find to see when i could expect to need bigger clothes. some blogs said 6 weeks, some said 15! helpful.

i didn't really start to notice a difference in the way my clothes fit until i was about 10 weeks along. it was at that point that my skinniest skinny jeans were having some buttoning issues. i decided to buy a couple of bands to help me continue to wear my regular jeans, which have been really helpful and actually a lot more comfortable than i thought they'd be.

i got 2 be bands from target in week 10, one white and one black. they're $16.99 apiece and totally worth it if you want to get some extra wear out of your smaller pants.

excuse the super weird picture

my parents were randomly in town when i was 11 weeks along and offered to take me shopping for maternity clothes. at this point, i really didn't think i needed any, but if you know me, you know i never turn down a chance to shop. i get it from my mama!

an old navy close to my house recently added a small maternity section, so we went there to see what we could find. i honestly expected everything to just be too big and not fit me right yet since my belly is still pretty small.

y'all. trying on maternity jeans changed my whole attitude. the elastic band fits you at any point in your pregnancy (even now, when my bump is just big enough to cause some fit problems). no more button struggle or dreaded muffin top! i've read some blogs where people don't ever buy maternity jeans, but they don't have to be expensive, and they're so comfortable! i don't understand why you wouldn't buy some. i don't think i could deal with just the belly band for the whole 9 months.

the shirts and dresses are so cute too - most of them have ruching on the side that looks totally fine with a tiny bump, but you can tell will look great as you grow. i haven't worn those yet since i have plenty of springy shirts and dresses that i'm wearing as much as possible while i still can. i'm sure i'll break them out soon though!

even though i technically don't need to wear maternity clothes every day, i really love having them as an option. the pants are all really cute and fit so well, and i'm looking forward to getting lots of use out of the dresses and shirts as the weather warms up.

here are a select few of the things i got. thanks again to my generous parents!

skinny jeans! obviously a must. these are pretty low-rise
with a dark wash and not a full panel,
which i liked. feels a little less restricting.

here's the big mama full panel! these are cute cuffed capris,
also in a dark wash, which i prefer.
going to get lots of use out of these this summer!


grey and white striped tshirt...basic,
but i know i'll wear it a ton

might be my favorite purchase! tank maxi dress
with a slit on one side. SO cute and comfy

my mom's favorite :) pretty summery shirt
with a big flower detail on the side

i actually just bought this one myself in the online maternity
clearance section at old navy. work appropriate, and i love stripes!
the $14.99 price tag was pretty great too :)

at this point (almost 13 weeks), i'm wearing a good mix of my old jeans with the band and the maternity jeans. leggings, dresses and skirts are also lifesavers now that it's warm enough to wear them. some of my smaller shirts are out of the picture at this point (especially fitted button-ups, which just fit awkwardly for multiple reasons), but most of my summer tops should fit me fine for a little while longer. i'll working in the maternity shirts as i go, and on the lookout for more now that i can feel summer coming!

1 comment:

  1. yay cute maternity clothes! you are going to be the cutest little pregnant lady!

    ReplyDelete